iCeNSA is an interdisciplinary research center organized around fundamental network and data science research and their applications to social, biological, biochemical, physical, environmental, financial, organizational, technical and defense systems. iCeNSA is at the forefront of advances in basic research, while making transformative interdisciplinary advances.
As a research center, iCeNSA:
- Develops a systems-level understanding of the fundamental processes and mechanisms that underly the structural, dynamical and functional properties of complex systems.
- Develops and integrates novel mathematical and computational algorithms and tools for network and sciences.
- Addresses the grand challenge problems facing our society to advance the common good.
- iCeNSA's approach is to abstract, generalize, classify and synthesize features of domain specific phenomena into systems-level descriptions, theories, algorithms, and tools, which can then be applied to other domain specific problems.
- iCeNSA's research repertoire originates from both pure academic concerns (fundamental component) and the needs of sponsoring agencies and industrial clients (applied component).
- As part of an educational institution, iCeNSA provides a hands-on training environment in network science for undergraduates, graduate students and postdoctoral associates. Given the complexities of real-world systems we anticipate a growing need in academia, industry and government for personnel who have a problem solving mentality, an interdisciplinary and global understanding of networked systems and the ability to design practical and sound solutions using rigorous mathematical and computational tools, a need that iCeNSA strives to meet through its educational programs.